Last Sunday, Clayton and I took the pups on a long walk along the Ogden River Parkway. It was a beautiful afternoon and they loved it! Later that night I had a "mosquito" bite that would not quit itching (let me just add, that itching is one of those things I CANNOT STAND). It was itching enough to wake me in the middle of the night twice to put stuff on it. I kept tossing and turning--all night--like I was too hot. I thought it was just one of those restless nights.
Monday morning I go into the bathroom to get in the shower, dreading going into work on such crappy sleep, and pull off my shirt. WHAT IN THE WORLD!!!! My chest, arms and belly were covered in this red bumpy rash. I quickly called Clayton to ask how he was--thinking it was poison oak. He was fine. Then I thought, did I get chicken pox for the 4th time from someone? No, it couldn't be.
I went to work for an hour and went to the doctor, "No chicken pox, no strep throat, no poison oak, just something like pityriasis rosea. It's similar to eczema & ring worm." How did I get that? There is not a reason why people get it, but they do, and it can last SEVERAL WEEKS. The doc gave me some cream stuff and off I went. I was so tired, I decided to not go back into work and sleep.
Just when I thought the itching would stop, it would start up again. That burning itch that only feels better in the act of scratching it with long fingernails, scissors, or any other object you can force on it. I try not to scratch, but I can't help it. It is aweful. The last five nights have been horrendous. I can't sleep with too many clothes on--heat makes it flare up. I have to get wet, cold towels and wrap around my hands and feet because they itch relentlessly. My palms are swollen from waking up scratching them. I take oatmeal baths multiple times a day & in the middle of the night with a towel proped up on the side just to try and sleep while soaking. Have I mentioned I am miserable with this junk?
I finally bought some excedrin pm to help me stay alseep, otherwise it is no use to lay in bed trying not to scratch off my itching flesh. I can't believe this stupid stuff just came out of nowhere. It is really pretty on the backs of my legs & stomach. It looks worse than red stretch marks & cottage cheese. Nice mental picture right? Gross, I know.
So that is my week, itching-insomniac. If I knew how to tell you not to catch it, I would let you all in on the wisdom, but I have no answers. I will say after receiving a blessing I have felt more comfortable. It is not as constant, but nights are the worse. During the day the redness fades, and I hardly scratch. But at then end of each day--there is always a night--a very vicious cycle.
For now, I would like to send a shout out to THANK the makers of Benadryl and Anti-Itch lotions. I would have gone crazy without their help. I am thankful for each moment the cool cream soaks in to calm the red, moving bumps covering my bod. Thank you.
Excuse me while I go itch some more. :)
Saturday, May 03, 2008
It's not a mosquito....
Posted by Emily and Clay
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Oh, Em! That sounds so AWFUL! I am so sorry you've had to deal with that. Is it getting any better? Is there anything I can do for you?
I am glad you have found some degree of relief, if only minor. I totally agree that there is nothing worse than an itch you know you shouldn't scratch.
OH! And I can't believe you've had chicken pox three times! I didn't know that was possible. You poor girl!
Oh, it has its days. I don't think there is anything to do with it besides wait it out. I can't help but itch....one week down, hopefully not many more to go.
Oh man, I am sympathy itching just thinking about it! I am so sorry...that's definitely one of my fears, because I can't stop itching once I start. I hope you get better soon. (What's weird is how fast it spread. Are the Dr's sure eczema/ringworm can spread that fast? Sounds like a weird viral thing to me, but I guess I am not a doctor.)
It is a viral thing...I can't pronounce it but I think it is called Pityriasis rosea. Fun stuff.
Sounds miserable, Emily. I'm sorry for you! I hope the virus subsides soon. The relentless itchies are worst.
oh that sucks my friend. no bueno.
I hope you're feeling better really soon! It sounds miserable!
BTW, I love the movie reviews! I'm in the middle of watching "Dan In Real Life", and it seems good so far. It's interesting to see Steve Carrell as someone else besides Michael! :)
Geez Louise, Emily LaWanna! I am so very very sorry. Is it something you are going to keep getting now that you've gotten it once? I certainly hope not. Hopefully it's settling itself down now after over a week. Sometimes I think itching is far more torturous than severe pain. I can deal with pain, I can't deal with itching.
Post a Comment