Today I read a really interesting article at work, "Womb for Rent". It was about how common surrogate mothers have become. I didn't realize how big it has gotten and found myself reading faster and faster just take it all in.
The surrogates get paid $25-40k from someone who cannot have children. In theory I think this is a great idea (the article showed how popular it has become with military wives). They can still be at home with their family, supplement their income while their husband is away overseas, and help another family. However, it would be difficult to give up a baby that is not yours, but that you have had growing inside you for 9 months. I can't imagine how hard that would be--but codo's to those who can do it!!!!!
One family they showcased in the article was a lady who loves being pregnant (obviously the surrogate). She has one daughter of her own and would not want another--but she has been a surrogate a couple of times. Even as a child she loved walking around with a pillow under her belly acting like she was pregnant.
The couple she carried for could not have children due to the fact that the wife had to have a hysterectomy before age 20! They did not want to adopt but wanted a child of their own. Luckily for them, this woman let them use her healthy baby-carrying body to grant their only wish.
The surrogate stated that she loves being in the delivery room with the couple waiting to see their miracle & wish come to pass. She said it is like fulfilling your one last wish but being alive to see its effects.
I guess I had never really thought about it, much less knew how popular it has become. I am blown away. I had no idea. Wow.
Several states legalized it, including Utah, and states like New York do not even recognize surrogate contracts. Texas & California have the highest percentage of people who are surrogates (big military states). They also do not allow the carrier to be the donor of the egg because then the mother/carrier actually gets attached to the baby--leading to costly court battles. Did you know, people from all over the world look to the U.S. to find surrogates? Well, they do! Some countries like Germany do not allow it, so they go elsewhere. Weird hu!
Well, enough of my blabbing, but I thought it was so interesting!!!!!!!!
Thursday, April 03, 2008
Interesting Article
Posted by Emily and Clay
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That is interesting. Some people love being pregnant, and if it helps bring a much wanted child into the world...great!
If my pregnancies weren't such a challenge, I would consider it. Some people were meant to have babies, and I think it's a very noble thing to do for someone else.
Wow - that is interesting! I had no idea there would be so much demand for that. Some people seem to take pregnancy so easily.
I liked being pregnant (aside from the being sick for 6 months & bad heartburn the rest of the time); but not that much! :)
Post a Comment