Thursday, February 21, 2008

Engaged?!!!!?

This week has been very interesting to say the least. Clayton & I both have had bad colds and on top of that, my Mom has had a visitor in from the San Fransico area. I guess I am a little bit of a stress freak when someone new comes over, but in my little condo there is not much room--and I stress. Needless to say, it has worked out better than I hoped.

My Mom and Jesse met on LDS Singles and have been talking non-stop. He is really sweet to her--calls three times a day, sends her chocolates, tells her how beautiful she is, etc. It is so nice to see my Mom beaming again and feeling more like herself. Although, the "No you hang up", "Oh! heheheheheh", girly giddiness is a little funny sometimes; it is still nice to see her happy.

This week was the week they planned to meet. I went down to pick him up in Salt Lake with my Mom. He was handsomer (if that is a word) than in the pictures we had seen. He was nice but not super talkative except to my Mom. I was a little wierded out by that. Why isn't he saying much? If he is here to meet her shouldn't he be getting to know her kids too? Maybe I was over protective. Long story short--I finally told my Mom I was worried. How do we know this guy? What if he has been lying and he is married or something? What if he tries to come in my room and cut me up into little pieces while we sleep? Ok, I know that is extreme but I just wasn't feeling comfortable since she was off in LA-LA-Land and was not thinking through anything. My sisters also thought she was not acknowledging our concerns. I was really upset. I hated feeling like I was my Mom's Mom. Why am I the one sitting down with her to tell her to "Make good choices"? Anywho, that night we watched TV together and ate dinner together. It was nice because Jesse finally started talking. He does seem really nice and my thought of sleeping with a knife under my pillow was a little extreme. Quirky old guy--but that's my Moms type. She needs someone like that.

Now, for the news we have all been waiting for. She is engaged. He got her a ring in Park City and they plan to date for a year and then get married in the temple. I am so happy that she has decided to go that route. I have not been alive long enough to see my Mom go to the temple. Every time she talks about one she cries; every time we pass one--she cries. I have always wondered why not go then Mom! But, she is the kind of person who needs a strong person pushing her to go to church and pushing her to go--and she may have found him. I hope it all works out. However, I am nervous about her packing up and moving to Cali without any family nearby. I guess we will have to see as the year passes on.

10 comments:

lydia said...

Wow! Eventful week! Congratulations to Joan.

Jenny said...

Holy Cow! Sounds like a whirlwind romance...kinda like when Dad sprung the "Oh, by the way, I GOT married" surprise. Hee hee.
Wish your Mom the best for us.

Laura Stephens said...

Wow! That was quick! I'm so happy for her!

Natalie said...

It's probably about time. Their relationship has been dragging on forever now, and I think everyone has been expecting this.

You and Clayton, on the other hand, you two better slow things down. You kids barely know each other, so definitely take your time evaluating the relationship before just diving in head first. You need to know this is going to last. So you better make sure you REALLY like each other.

JK, btw. (The abbrevs are for you, Lyd)

Emily and Clay said...

That is what I am thinking, Clayt and I need to slow it down. I mean, 3 years without spending more than 1 day apart. I am just not sure!

YEAH RIGHT! I can't wait till we make the jump.

Mindy said...

Did anyone else freak out a little when reading the title of this post? I screamed--I thought you were announcing your OWN engagement, Emily, but I was still happy to hear about your Mom's good news.

I have felt that "being a mom to your Mom" feeling before, and it's okay to be protective. We want what's best for our parents as much as they want what's best for us.

It sounds like Joan and Jesse are going about things the right way and I wish them the very best.

Blaine said...

That is fabulous! Temple and everything! Although, I must admit when I saw the title of the post, I was very excited to read about you and Clay being engaged! So way to disappoint there!

Blaine said...

When is that gonna happen by the way . . .

Emily and Clay said...

Don't know, but hopefully soon ;).

Shanna said...

Ditto. I was very excited to hear you were engaged...but also excited to hear that it is your mom that is getting married.

You're a good daughter/mom Emily!