Tuesday, January 29, 2008

27 Dresses Later

Clayton & I had a date night on Friday with my friend Missy. She did my taxes for me and for payment I said I would take her to dinner & a movie.

Wait, why in the world would I have a friend do my taxes you might be thinking? Shouldn't I just put on my nerd shirt, grab a calculator & get to work? Well, you see, I would had I not screwed myself by claiming ten for part of the year & forgetting to change it back! So, thinking I was going to owe a million dollars, I thought I would have Missy do them so I could have the best chance of getting the most deductions that I may not know about. The minute I got my W-2 I sent it right over. She had them done in no time & saved me a couple hundred dollars!!! THANKS MISS!!!!!!

So, back to the dresses.

For dinner we went to my favorite restaurant, Chilis then we went to see 27 dresses. Missy brought her friend so it turned out to be a chic flick night. Clayton doesn't mind chic flics (lucky for me) but within the first 15 minutes I was apologizing for the movie. 98% of the theatre was filled teenagers or a group of older females. I am sure the producers loved it had they been there, because each time there was a line in the movie, 98% of the people would either laugh hysterically or say "AWE". It was so predictible & such a girl movie I wanted to puke. We may as well have been a studio audience with a "LAUGH NOW" light that came on. These people were right on que.

Clayton & I started laughing at the rediculous parts & may have spoiled the movie for those who were really enjoying it (sorry to anyone there :) ). It was fun for us to joke about it, but at the same time I felt bad for punishing Clayton on our date night with such a stupid movie. My laugh isn't exactly quiet, so I know that others were thinking, "why is that synic woman hater here?" It ended up being fun, but just one of those movies you will joke about for a while after. The best was as we were walking out one girl said, "Oh, that is a definiate purchase when it comes out on DVD", I couldn't hold it in. I burst out laughing looking at Clayton, "Did we watch the same show?". IT TANKED in my books. I was looking forward to a good chic flic.

As we left, we both were talking about movies that have opened lately. Do producers come up with the same story line in each chic flic because real life stories are too boring? Sure seems like it. They put these wonderful people on screen that girls think are so "sweet" or "handsome", and they think, "I wish my boyfriend would do that". Personally, I think its a crock. Forgive me, but these totally cheesy shows just make it harder for the honest, good, hard-working man to get the "wow" factor. Come on! Can we not have a movie produced about a simple farm boy, who couldn't offer anything but himself, get a good-looking poor girl & have a happy ending? Of course not, that doesn't sell. Only the heart-throbs with a cheezy lines sell on the big screen.

Don't get me wrong, the simple sweet stories happen all over america everyday....but it would be refreshing to hear a nice story about a simple life on screen....instead of all of the sex stories or horrors that come out. It is sad that the producers can't come up with something new.

Anywho---we survivied. We laughed. We laughed even harder at the predictible crowd.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I wholeheartedly agree with the poor farm boy meets the sweet girl movie, vs. the NY fashion designer (Kate..take your pick star) meets the sports agent (Matthew Mcauneghey-type) I can't spell his name.
Real life just isn't as entertaining, or outragously, ridiculously romantic. I feel bad for guys with THIS false standard to live up to. Glad to hear you can rip on a movie, too. Sometimes that's my favorite thing to do with Sean. You should see us watch "Armageddon" sometime. You could cut the sarcasm with a knife.

PS- I think Clayton is an awesome guy for going to a chick flick with you. Props, bro!

lydia said...

It's funny you mentioned Armageddon, Jen, because I was about to tell this story:

Shanna and I went to Deep Impact at the Kaysville theater and we were just not into it at all, and thought the cheesy romance between the teenagers was a bit much. We were laughing during some really serious parts, and no doubt, bugging the people around us. And then that part where the mom gives Leelee whats-her-bucket the baby we totally switched gears and were crying along with everyone!!! The funny thing is, I really like this movie now. Sometimes you just get off on a different foot and the rest of the movie is different for you than it is for anyone else.

Laura Stephens said...

That's too bad it wasn't a better movie! For the record, The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything was really fun! :)

Mindy said...

After reading your post earlier, I heard a lady at the gym today going on and on about how much she loved this movie, and I had to giggle a little!

I love a good chick flic, but they do tend to get really formulaic and overdone with "wow" moments. One of my favorite "normal" guys from a chick flic was the country boy/husband on "Sweet Home Alabama." I thought he was adorable.

Lyd, I've never seen Deep Impact, but now I just might have to rent it.

Emily and Clay said...

I love Sweet Home Alabama. That is more my style of good chic flic...not the kind the has all of the audience saying "OOOO", "Awe".