Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Bad Hair Day

I guess every female has to have at least ONE bad hair experience. It is just the lucky few that actually get to have multiple mishaps (i.e. ME).

My first bad hair cut was when I was in third grade. My hair was long enough I could sit on it and I decided I wanted to go with the mushroom cut that was so popular for NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK! My friend, Hillary, got her hair cut and I loved it. Shaved in the back, 3 inches long on the top and permed. So of course, I told my mom that is what I wanted. She tried to warn me that it would not be what I wanted but I still wanted to try. It was UGLY! Not only did I look like a boy—it was worse. I hated it. Clayton died laughing when he saw it in pictures. It was so horrible!!!!!!

Since that time, I have had a few bad coloring experiences. I have a sister who is a beautician but I still try and go the cheap way out—BOX COLOR from the store. I once bought stuff from BIG LOTS and dyed my hair thinking, “it will work just fine”. No, no it didn’t. I had pink and orange hair. We had to put black over the top just to cover it. My nephew who was about 6 at the time said, “Are you being Ronald McDonald for Halloween? Cause that is what you look like”. My sister has always bailed me out and fixed it…..thankfully she has that talent!

My most recent experience scared me to death. I thought I would bleach my own hair (which I have done before but with a cap and it worked fine). I had envisioned blonde on the top, dark on the bottom. The bottom came out great so on to the bleaching I went. It started out going well but it turned a little orangey in spots. I completed the process twice since the first time it did not go as light or even as I wanted. It still had that ugly orange look to it but I thought maybe, “If I dry it, it won’t be so bad”, plus I did not dare bleach it again. As I started drying it, my hair started coming out in clumps. I ran downstairs to tell Clayt I think I ruined my hair. I grabbed a piece in the front and said, “Look” as I pulled it right out! I thought for sure I would have to wear a wig for awhile. I slept with conditioner on my hair that night and was too afraid to touch it until my sister took at look at it. The next day she said, “It is breaking off but luckily not at the root. You will just have to be careful with it”.

Thick head bands and scarves were my next purchase to cover the ugliness. It basically looked (pardon my French) like a crack whore who just found a bottle of bleach and went to town! I was so embarrassed to even go out in public!

Sunday I dreaded going into work. And when I got in on Monday---it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Everyone was nice about my hair even though I could tell some were thinking—STUPID GIRL! Doug was not a huge fan and told me it was not what he wanted to see—but what could I do??? He has joked about it since... That night my sister dyed the top back to dark which I could live with; the blonde was just too uneven and made the dead hair look worse. She also blended the breakage spots so it is not as noticeable.

For now, I am stuck with dry big hair. I cannot use the flat iron on high heat, no curling iron and careful blow drying. So my natural curl has turned into POOF. Oh well, it is one mishap that will make me to go to the salon for sure when I want BLEACH.

**thank you sister for always fixing my hair!

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Where's the picture? Can't the rest of us giggle about your pain just a little?

But I feel for ya. We've all had a bad dye job before and suffered through the consequences.

And sorry my dad doesn't know how to be tactful sometimes. I had an outfit on the other day that he told me was "different" and "not very functional."

Emily and Clay said...

It is fine. He has made good jokes since. Thank goodness I did not have to suffer with it for too long. I am sure your outfit was wonderful.

Jenny said...

Oh, Emily.....I did my own color once and had orange roots and slightly green ends (Chlorine does a number on blondes in the summer, and shows ten times worse when you do a home job color). Thankfully, I enrolled in beauty school the very next month. Color correction is time-consuming, sometimes expensive, and always painful (hair falling out in clumps).
I find it's best to spend the extra $$$ and get a professional. That way, it's on their dime if you don't like it. Bleach is always tricky and unpredictable.
Lesson learned, though. Glad your hair is bouncing back from the bad experience. :) We've all been there.

Mindy said...

Reading your post brought back bad memories of walking into a "salon" in Indianapolis to get my hair straightened. I knew right away that I was in for a bad experience, but tried to be optimistic.

The pinnacle of the long ordeal was when I noticed that the "professional straightener" the stylist was using had a yellowing sticker on it that read $4.99. Writing the $50 check for the "service" was excrutiating!

I didn't realize how bad things were until later that evening when I was trying to salvage the disaster and heard every hair breaking as I combed (ping, ping, ping). That was a sound I wish to never hear again!

I headed to a REAL salon the next day and got the shortest cut of my life. Expensive lesson learned.

Mindy said...

p.s. Forgot to say that I hope everything works out with YOUR hair! I feel for ya. The best thing about hair is that is grows...eventually. Good luck.

Shanna said...

I'm with Nat, Where's the documentation of said hairdo? Speaking of short do's...the other day I found a picture of me, Nat, and Lyd that was taken when we were probably ten or so. We're outside a church in our Sunday best. Natalie and Lydia are both sporting home perms and I have a short mushroom do! I loved this mushroom do. In fact, most of my elementary years were spent with the short do.

Anyway, long story short, I showed the picture to my friend's five-year-old neice and she told me that I looked like a boy in a dress! Got to love the honesty of a child!

Emily and Clay said...

As for the pictures, I did not take any of the blonde. No sir-ree. As for the dark you can't really tell I had a mishap because of the wonderful workings of my sister. However, if you look close it is a little out of control.

Thanks for all of your nice comments.

Natalie said...

Speaking of hair and the honesty of children, I was doing Angie Stevenson's hair yesterday in a sort-of up-do for the Gala at the Davis Conference Center last night. Dress code was black tie so we were all doing our best. But Angie's hair is curly and ear-length, which is why I call the up-do "sort-of". I thought it looked really pretty. But her little 3 yr. old daughter Jade walked in and said "Mommy, you look like a dragon."