I love nitrous oxide. This colorless and odorless gas makes most of my dentist visits worth while. What a great little gas those clever scientists came up with. Usually I get so giggly that the dentist has to walk out for a minute while I gain composure, but not this time.
Yesterday I had a dentist appointment. I was expecting to have 12 cavities filled and a root canal. You might be thinking, “Geese does this girl ever brush or what?!” and yes I do, but I also I drink so much coke that I have several small little cavities between my teeth (not to mention I do have a weak spot for sugar). With my appointment I was planning on going in and having it all done at once; one appointment and one afternoon off work. But that was not the case.
When the dentist took me back, I only had 5 fillings to do and then he scheduled my root canal for another week or two. Great news for me! This meant less time in the chair and a lower bill.
I immediately requested the gas and got situated in my chair watching “The People’s Court”. I don’t know what it is about that show that holds my interest. Maybe it is the commonality I feel I have with the judges—I too deal with stupid people on a regular basis and am surprised that they have made it this far in life. But anywho—I began watching it. The hygienist started the gas and within a matter of seconds I was about gone. My eyes were getting heavy, my head was spinning and I just got into that happy mode.
I could move my toes, feel my heart racing and still open my eyes, so I thought I was fine. Soon all I could feel is my heart racing and I didn’t feel like I could open my eyes. The dentist had started working on my teeth and I did not feel a thing! They asked me to open my mouth and I thought I did, but nope, I was too numb. They put a block in and the hygienist helped keep my mouth open.
But the numbing started worrying me. I started tapping my own hand to make sure I was not dying or having a reaction. I thought to myself, “I hope I can still give the dentist some sort of a sign that I am not ok because I can’t speak”. He asked if I was ok and I didn’t really respond. I was responding in my head but not out loud. He turned down the gas and said, “Do you feel this?” Shaking my head, he took it as a no. He said I think you are pretty numb. After realizing I still had control of my head and hands—I calmed down. Everything was normal; thousands of people get the gas every day right?
Soon the gas started wearing off a little. I couldn’t feel him working on me but I did not have that panicked feeling of I am going to die in the dental chair while getting my cavities filled--WHAT A WAY TO GO.
I made it through the appointment and everything is fine. I just had one of those little things that gave me, as Marilyn would say, a fright. I am sure I will post again with the excitement of my first ROOT CANAL (now that is something to look forward to. Just kidding).
Friday, August 17, 2007
Nitrous Oxide commonly known as Laughing Gas
Posted by Emily and Clay
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I too enjoy Nitrous...but the last time I was at the dentist, I didn't get any. They just pulled out the needle and jammed it into my gums without warning. So, now I am terrified of the dentist. (And I have been through a lot with my teeth even as a kid, but always felt secure because of my "Darth Vader" nose mask.)
Sorry you had a fright. I have heard stories of teenagers playing around in their Dad's dental office only to be found dead on the floor by the nitrous machine the next morning. It can be scary (and deadly) when it isn't mixed right.
Tell your dentist next time...and it will hopefully be a fun and relaxing experience again! ;)
I can only remember having Nitrous one time. Good ol' Dr. Felix fixed me up real nice. The only thing I recall, other than feeling incredibly happy and disconnected, is hearing the office radio singing the "FM 100" identification jingle over and over and over again.
Nice memory.
Hope next time is less scary and more laughy.
Root canal, you say? I'm waiting on the edge of my seat! I can hardly wait. And I don't know what kind of loser dentist I must go to, but I've never EVER received laughing gas. I thought the jamming of needles into my gums while my eyes well up with tears that I keep trying to push back was all just part of the normal dental process.
Love ya!
I have never really been a fan of the ol' laughing gas. I had it a couple of times when I was younger and it made me really nauseous and that did it for me. I will take the pinch of the needle over the wooziness any day.
Ahh, root canals. Have I told you I have had TWO root canals on THE SAME TOOTH?? Betcha didn't think that was possible, huh? I sure didn't until I had to have it done. Apparently my root curved at the very end and when I had the first one done the equipment wasn't advanced enough to handle it. It's been a couple of years now, but the dentist said that if I have pain again he's gonna yank it this time. Luckily I don't know if there is a way to do that twice on the same tooth, so at that point I should be good to go.
effect of viagra on women viagra equivalent viagra online stores cheap viagra canada viagra jelly viagra sales viagra and cannabis viagra alternatives generic soft tab viagra viagra faq viagra online uk non prescription viagra cheap viagra canada is there a female viagra
Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!
Post a Comment