After 2 ½ years of dating Clayton—things are pretty comfortable. Let me explain, it is the kind of comfortable where we love spending our time together but we don't always have those butterflies because we are always around each other...but every so often we do. Sometimes it is a simple kiss or even going out on a “date” if you have not been on one in awhile. I am sure those who are married could relate. So here is the story of my sweet little surprise.
First a little background; we returned from our trip on Wednesday the 25th in the wee-hours of the morning. My vacation days were all used up on our trip so I had to get up and be to work by 8 am. After work, I unloaded our loaner car; completely exhausted I knew I still should clean and return the vehicle to my Dad but quickly changed my mind and put it off another day. Clayton too had to work on Wednesday--that night we both were so tired, we made dinner and crashed watching our game shows.
Now onto the meat of the story (Mike please stop drooling). Thursday morning, I woke up still in a fog from being worn out and in vacation mode. I go into work not only dreading work but dreading that my night is going to be a rush to clean and return the vehicle. Keep in mind I have only had a couple of hours of sleep because on our trip we did not get to sleep in and driving thru the night a couple times really wore me out.
I text Clayt to say good morning like usual and he wasn’t sure if he had to work or not since he does not have a set schedule. He wasn’t feeling well, so when he said he was just going to stay home, I thought that was fine. I spoke to him a couple of times throughout the day to check on him and he kept saying he didn’t feel too great….
At 5.30p I pulled up to my front door in the hot Durango, after a long day at work, thinking I do not want to clean, I do not want to unpack or do anything in this heat! I just want to make some dinner and go to bed!
I walked in the front only to be welcomed by the smell of fresh detergent, Windex, and other cleaning supplies (I consider that smell welcoming at least). I thought to myself, “Did my Mom clean or something?” I first noticed my kitchen was cleaned (dishes, floor, everything top to bottom). Getting a little curious I began examining the house. The bathrooms had been cleaned, my carpets vacuumed, my LAUNDRY done (folded and put away!!!), my entire luggage was unpacked, the kitchen of course and there was dinner unthawing in the kitchen. As I passed my Mom’s room she just smiled and said, “Clayton was here when I got home”. HOLY CRAP! He had lied to me to come over and clean everything. Never in a million years did I think that is where he was all day, or that he would do everything for me by the time I got home. I was shocked! I almost started crying I was so happy!!!!! I was able to make our dinner and take a little nap while waiting for him to come over.
I walked in the front only to be welcomed by the smell of fresh detergent, Windex, and other cleaning supplies (I consider that smell welcoming at least). I thought to myself, “Did my Mom clean or something?” I first noticed my kitchen was cleaned (dishes, floor, everything top to bottom). Getting a little curious I began examining the house. The bathrooms had been cleaned, my carpets vacuumed, my LAUNDRY done (folded and put away!!!), my entire luggage was unpacked, the kitchen of course and there was dinner unthawing in the kitchen. As I passed my Mom’s room she just smiled and said, “Clayton was here when I got home”. HOLY CRAP! He had lied to me to come over and clean everything. Never in a million years did I think that is where he was all day, or that he would do everything for me by the time I got home. I was shocked! I almost started crying I was so happy!!!!! I was able to make our dinner and take a little nap while waiting for him to come over.
It is things like that that really make me feel like he cares and notices when I need extra help—not me asking him for help but him just doing it by himself. That whole day I was dreading going home to my messy-returned-from-vacation house and yet I came home and it was spick and span! It was so nice and thoughtful of him!! I got butterflies simply because he took the time to do something for me out of the ordinary. I loved it--a very sweet surprise indeed!
P.S. Clayton I don’t think you read my blog; but if you do and I embarrassed you—I am sorry. You are just too sweet not to mention!

5 comments:
Good going lil' brudder!
Emily, I have said it once, and I will say it again....nothing is as sexy as a man with "dishpan hands".
Clayton has always been a thoughtful soul. When Clayton a kid, I ran he and Lydia ragged everyday with a bunch of "favors" that I was too lazy to do myself. They never complained. I feel bad now...I mean, I could have gotten off the couch to get my own glass of water, or gotten out of bed to brush my teeth, but no. With such accommodating siblings, I rarely had to lift a finger. (Sorry, by the way. I love you guys).
How sweet! I got tears in my eyes when I read this. That probably sounds cheesy, but it's things like this that really enrich and strengthen a relationship.
By the way, after almost eleven years of marriage, I still get butterflies sometimes.
Way to go, Clayton! And Emily, I don't doubt that you do your share of thoughtful and unselfish things for Clayton as well. Good for you both!
I am glad Clayton got the chance to serve you. I suspect Acts of Service is one of your love languages as you are constantly serving others, which makes this that much more meaningful. I do love coming home to a clean house, especially when I was dreading the job. That is a really cute picture, too.
Aww, that was so sweet. Way to go, Clayt! You deserved it, Em. I never commented on your Oregon trip post...I loved it! The pictures were terrific. I agree with the others -- you two look great together! How neat to go back to your home town and show all those childhood places to Clayton. Sounds like you had a blast. So glad everything is going well. Say hi to everybody at the bank for me!
Evie
Hey, I love the new look of the blog! Very chic. You two are so darn cute, I love that picture. It really is touching when someone does something like that, isn't it?
PS I miss you.
Post a Comment