Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The moment you have all been waiting for!

Our Adventures in Oregon
The weather was perfect; A balmy 85 degrees, a little cloud cover but mostly sunny. We had a marvelous time golfing, going to the Coast, seeing the Red Woods, and touring CP my “home town” (also known as Central Point, not to be confused with Clayton Paul). Our first stop was my old house (houses) and then Bear Creek Park. It is a wooden maze castle. I LOVE IT! Clayton thinks he would like designing play grounds like this!




Saturday: We went golfing with my two soccer buddies, Ryan & Nick. It was a lot of fun. I actually made contact and was hitting ok. There were a few holes I was a little over par—but mostly I didn’t keep score. Clayton enjoyed the nice green course and one he had not played before.






We also visited a cute historical town called Jacksonville. It is a fun place to walk thru and visit a couple of shops.









That evening we met up with Ashlee. She is my best friend in Oregon and we were staying with her. However she had just returned from a Trip to Alaska with her boyfriend. So—they took a nap while we were golfing and met up with us for dinner along with an old friend of mine (Amber and her husband Mike). We ate at the Roadhouse which was delicious!!!

Mike & Amber


Ashlee


After dinner we went to see Chuck & Larry with Amber & Mike. While waiting for the movie to start we played scrabble in a coffee shop (just sippin’ our Italian soda’s). I did not really like the movie. I was a little disappointed but I should have guessed that. By the way, we saw 2 LDS churches the whole trip and about 1 million Dutch Bros' (coffee shop). They are like drive thrus all over the place!

Sunday: We drove around to see the Rouge River (got lost on our way there and made a short detour). We went to the House of Mystery (
http://www.oregonvortex.com/). Check out the photographs on their page and you will see how interesting it is. The tour was not super great or anything—but it is a very intriguing place. Later in the evening we were going to have a BBQ with friends, but when that fell through, we went to dinner with my friend Tom and his girlfriend Kayla. Tom and I have been best buddies since I was in the 6th grade. It was really nice to see him! We saw their condo and their puppy (shih tzu and Maltese mix). We took pictures of him to show Chloe her new boyfriend. Tom is a cop in Medford (town adjacent to CP). It was fun to hear some of his work stories. After dinner we went to see Transformers (for our second time; highly recommend this movie).


Chloe's Boyfriend! Hopefully their long distance relationship will pan out.





(I love the look of "WOW")


Monday: We visited the Coast. We drove to the Red Woods and walked thru the enormous trees. I believe in giants after seeing these huge trees! The pictures do not display how big they really are. It is amazing!


THESE ARE THE ROOTS OF A FALLEN OVER TREE. JUST THE ROOTS!





We also drove over to Battery Point Light House. When the tide is out you walk across the bottom of the ocean to get to it. We missed a tour but we took pictures of the lighthouse and the view of the ocean.









Finally, we took a drive over to the harbor. I had so much fun getting my feet wet. As a kid I went to the coast every weekend, but my step Dad did not allow us to get wet “if you get wet you go home”; we played on the beach a lot, but never enjoyed the water. So, Clayton and I let the waves crash against our calves. We did not swim, because there are so many rocks on the bottom that it isn’t too safe—but just getting our toes in was great!







Tuesday: Our long drive home. I got a little teary leaving (as usual). I sometimes miss certain things about Oregon but I would miss my family here more--so it is always sad to leave but so nice to visit! We stopped and saw the Smith River, the Rouge Gorge and Crater Lake. It is absolutely beautiful. It looks like a fake background in the pictures, but it is not! We were standing right there!!!!



Smith River


The Rouge Gorge is awesome. Enough water flows through here to fill an OLYMPIC POOL in one minute (over 400 gallons!)
















And, there you have it!

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Emily, I am so happy to hear about your trip and to see those pictures. You and Clayton look so cute in every picture. I cannot believe how beautiful those pictures were, especially the last few. Wow. So glad you guys had such a wonderful time!

lydia said...

Yea!! I am glad you had a good time and that you were able to swerve through a few rough "bumps in the road" :)

Seriously, Mindy nailed it! You guys look so dang cute, and those pictures of Crater Lake and Rouge Gorge are stunning.

Jenny said...

What a gorgeous place! I definitely want to go on a vacation there sometime. I am so glad you had a good time. You both look so great in those pictures. And hey, I love coffee shops, they are a fun crowd. I hear you about how many there are! Seattle? Starbucks every block...but I guess that's where they started.

Natalie said...

OK. First of all, let me comment on the photography--- don't tell me you were just grabbing strangers to snap a quick shot of you in these photos. Nope, I won't believe it. I am here and now accusing you of bringing a professional photographer along with you on your trip just so you could have cooler pictures than anybody else's road trip. Do not try to persuade me otherwise. I am convinced.
And you're right about the GORGEOUS backdrop behind you in the 3rd to last pic. It's so pretty, it really does look fake. You two look amazing. Such a gorgeous couple. You guys just look happy together, and isn't that what it's all about?
Also, I always appreciate a sentence that makes me laugh out loud (not to be confused with the gay 'LOL' running rampant in texts these days). The sentence about the long distance relationship for Chloe and her new boyfriend gave me a good chuckle. A real one. It was audible.
Love ya! (both!)

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures, Em! Do you have a tripod and timer for your camera or something? I was very impressed with all the beautiful backdrops, like the light tower. I bet you miss that beautiful place.

Steve and I have a lot of pictures with just him or me, because one of us is taking the pic. Let me know your setup...I think we need to copy it.

Love you, hon' -- take care. Say hi to your mom for me.

Evie