Well, now that you got the big news, how did we find out? What were reactions? Etc?
Wednesday March 3 I was a few days “late”; not that it is really unusual for me. I grabbed a pregnancy test thinking, just like every other month, the result would be negative. I sat there impatiently waiting and PREGNANT popped up on the screen. I was thinking there was a mistake. NO WAY!!! I am going to have a baby. All of this time I have been worrying; now here we are, pregnant.
Clayton had been watching a basketball game downstairs and didn’t even know I was going to take a test. I sat there for a moment in shock. For some reason those past few days had been rough at work for both of us and neither of us were in good moods. I walked downstairs and Clayton hadn’t taken his eyes off the TV. So I just put the test in front of his glasses. He read it, “Honey, really? Are you sure?! Wow!!!!”. “Well, I am not sure sure, but I can take another one in a little bit”. We both sat there feeling shocked; excited; nervous; happy.
That is how it began. The next few weeks were filled with family parties--which it was hard not to say anything. Especially to my sisters. I call them everyday and it was so hard not to give them the news. We even threw Sheryl a surprise baby shower during that time and I couldn’t say a word!
We made a doctors appointment for the 17. I was nervous that I was going to have a chemical pregnancy (the kind where your body displays the signs of being pregnant but you really are not). When the doctor walked in, he said, “I told you it would work (the medication he gave us a few months ago)! Now, what worries/concerns do you have?”. I said, “That I am not pregnant or am having twins or something”. Jokingly he said, “Oh you are pregnant the question is how many is there”. He did an ultrasound and there on the screen a little blinking bean showed up. I looked at Clayt. There was our proof—the little flashing heartbeat. It was amazing. I didn’t know I could see the heartbeat at 6 weeks. CRAZY!!!
I hadn’t felt any real symptoms besides being sore and feeling tired. Then a few days after the appointment it hit; constant; all day; all night—SICK. Nothing sounded good. Nothing tasted good. I had a metal taste in my mouth. One of my favorite things in the world, Coke, made me throw up. Now, three weeks later has it changed? No. I have lost 5 pounds and can hardly make it through a meal. I really would love a great big coke but can’t. I would love to eat my favorite meal from Ron’s house…but can’t. I am just hoping this goes away in another 2-3 weeks. It has been really hard not to be pessimistic about feeling like crap. I have never felt so awful in my entire life. I am SICK of being SICK. I am really sick of throwing up (especially at work where how many hundreds of people use those toilets—GROSS). And you better believe the minute my taste buds & stomach are back in order, watch out McDonalds $1 Cokes. I will be pounding you down like none other.
But the good news….we have told our family & friends. It exciting telling people the news and seeing their reactions. We both come from such big families that another baby is really no real “news” but everyone was so nice and excited all the same. My Mom was over for a weekend and we said we rented a movie. We played the ultrasound for her. She immediately smiled and said, “Congrats”. Then I couldn’t wait to tell my sisters. I had my Mom call Sheryl and see if she was home. We drove up to Perry to just stop by. We told Tate to come with us downstairs for a second, “Tate, we have a secret for you to tell Mommy. Can you tell her Aunt Emily has a baby in her belly”. He shrugged his shoulders and ran upstairs. “Mom, Mom come here, I have a secret,” as he whispered in her ear. She was so excited!! Then we went to Jeanie’s. We tried to do the same with my niece Hailey, but she had just woken up, and didn’t want to tell a secret. So Jeanie said, “Should I just guess?” And she did. She didn’t expect she would be right...but she was. She started crying (as usual :) with good news). I was so relieved to finally have them know. Now I didn’t need to keep it a secret why I was sick, tired and not feeling like doing much of anything.
We asked my step Mom and Dad out to dinner. She sent me a text, “Honey I have a feeling you are pregnant. Are you?” I texted back, “No. Nice try”. So we met up for dinner and just before my Dad started eating I said, “Before you get your hands dirty take a look at this” as I tossed him the ultrasound pic. Pam threw her crackers at me across the table, “I TOLD YOU. I TOLD YOU. I just felt like you were.”
And now that you are all getting bored of how we told people, I saved the best for last. Clayts family. We had a family dinner on the 28th. He asked his Dad if he could give the prayer. I was so nervous when he started the prayer. I was shaking—so was he. In it he blessed Lyd with her new baby, then asked to bless Mindy and the twins. Then right before closing he said, “Please bless my wife with our first baby that everything will go well…in the name” then everyone started screaming and jumping. We had thought of so many different ways to tell everyone and this one was Clayton’s idea. I think it was perfect.
Actually—I am forgetting my favorite. When I told Jeanie, Justice was at the skate park. Jeanie had called him to tell him to come home. I asked if I could tell him on the phone. When I did, he said, “What the heck has Uncle Clayton been doing to you”. I laughed and said, “Come home and ask him”. LOL
And my two little furry friends…they both are doing great! I am sure they will be excited for a little baby to come into our home (or in Izzy’s case someone else to lick). I think they know I don’t feel so well, cause they have been extra cuddly and actually allow me to take more frequent and longer naps without whining for me to walk them or play with them. Getting their dinner has been interesting...half the time I have to hold my breath cause it stinks so bad (especially since they are spoiled and we warm it up for them hahahhahahah).
So, there you have it. We are very excited and still in shock. I can’t wait for our next ultrasound on the 14th. I never knew how fast these little babies developed. It should have arms, legs, fingers, toes and a nose when we go back. That is CRAZY. I can’t wait to find out what we are having (I know, a few more weeks to wait)!

7 comments:
I love your nephew's reaction. I'm so excited for you guys.:)
I am so EXCITED for you guys! I hope you get feeling better soon!
Sorry you are feeling so lousy! I'm sure you have tried, but eating crackers or toast in bed before you get up is supposed to help, and also eating really small snacks throughout the day instead of big meals. The trick there is just WANTING to eat. I never really got sick, but I did ABSOLUTELY lose my appetite.
I LOVED how you guys told our family. I loved the audible gasps before the prayer had even finished (no doubt my mom) as people realized what Clay had just said. Did he remember to bless the food? :D
Love you guys. We couldn't be more happy for you and can't wait to find out it's a boy! Shoots, hope I didn't jinx anything. ;)
That was really fun to read. I am still so excited for you guys. It makes me smile every time I think about it! I don't smile, however, thinking about how sick you have been. We have been praying for you to feel better soon. I'm looking forward to hearing how the next ultrasound goes - don't rule out multiples just yet :)! Love you guys so much.
Yay!!! I'm so excited for you guys! I had no idea until I read your blog. I love how you told your families haha. So creative. CONGRATS!! Oh, and I hope you get feeling better soon.
oh, I loved reading all the details and everyone's reactions. Clayton slipping it in the blessing on the food was fabulous! I AM SO EXCITED for you! We pray for you daily.
Please write soon with the Ultrasound update. We love you so much! Holding anything down yet?
Mamba
Post a Comment