Tuesday, April 24, 2007

For Grandma


Maybe you do or don’t know but I did not grow up with a “real” Grandma (or Grandpa for that matter). My Mother’s mom died when she was four, her father passed away when I was 5. My Dad’s father passed away before I was born and his mother died when I was about 8. Since I lived in Oregon growing up I didn’t get to see my Grandma. There are only about 3 times I can remember seeing her. Now, this is not a poor me entry because did I have step grandparents (none that really liked us unfortunately). But last night I got to thinking about Grandma Scothern and what things she might enjoy from all of her grandchildren.

Clayton and I watched the Jazz game last night with her (POOR REF-ING BY THE WAY—wait till the Rockets come to SLC!). She is so sweet, making us cookies and staying up late to let us finish the game. She started to tell us stories of her and Grandpa Scothern dating. He would fly her to Idaho just for lunch in a plane. What a cool date! She just lit up talking about it. She started telling us about all of the kids and kids’ kids’—going thru all of her pictures in her living room. There are so many picture frames, that she knocks them over to get to some of them (because of her shakes). I got to thinkin’—we should make her a scrapbook. Not too frilly or anything, but have each of the kids do a page. For instance a photo (for example Mindy had a picture of her family and she wrote what she remembers about Grandma) and then on the adjacent page write your favorite memory of grandma. It would not take long to do and I think she would really enjoy it. It probably wouldn’t be ready for Mother’s day unless everyone really got crackin’. We could even just give it to her for a present because we all love her so much!!!!!! What do you think? Any ideas? It would be cute to have a young picture of her in there too (do we know where we could get a copy?).

Mindy—I hope you don’t mind I used this cute picture!


Well, it was just an idea. Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

mikemetcalf said...

Hear hear! What a great idea Emily! Just let me know what kind of format you want and we'd be happy to contribute. (format meaning, what kind of paper, how much space to take up, all that jazz).

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!!

Yes, this is Lydia, no doubt your most favorite closet blogger.

I tell Mike all the time that I wish I knew my grandma better but then I don't do anything about it. She is such an amazing person and I think it would be in everyone's best interest to tell her how great we think she is.

You know I didn't even know my grandpa was a pilot!!! Shame on me.

Thanks for the post. I think it's a great idea. I don't think there is any reason why we couldn't put it all together by Mother's Day. Are you thinking just Gary's kids, or all of her grand-children??

Emily and Clay said...

Whatever you guys want. I was thinking all of Gary's kids and then their families......So Mindy, and her kids. But I dont know your cousins or anything like that.

Jenny said...

Ok, for some reason I did not see this blog entry until just now....
I only have a problem because all of my family pics are packed away in some random box and in storage. Doesn't mean I can't add a late entry when I get there, I just don't see it happening before Mother's Day.
I definitely DO think Grandma needs to record some of her stories, because I too have never heard of lunch dates on planes! Sounds totally cool. Great idea Emily.