Thursday, October 26, 2006

Saddle Sores

No. Not the saddle sores you get from riding a cute horse on a sunny afternoon, down a dusty trail....but the kind you get from punishing yourself at the GYM.

Lydia and I have been going to Lady Fitness. I would not say regularly, but we are attempting to make it a part of our regular schedule. I really enjoy going with someone who actually wants to workout!

Anywho--on Tuesday I see that there is a PEDAL-PUMP class, so I mention it to Lyd. She is up for it and away we go. The room is filled with plenty of inshape women as well as some that are a little more in my category (those being the envious of the inshape girls). The first 45 minutes of the class was x-biking. Basically it was a a spin class with a little added tension in the handle bars. You could pump the handlebars while you were peddling. It was a good workout except for the comfort of the seat. It was tiny and hard! I seriously thought as I stepped off the bike that I would see blood dripping from the seat. I felt like it had rubbed my butt raw!!!!!!!! No joke

.
Then was the second portion of the punishment--the PUMP portion.
We did tons of repetitions with low weights on all different upper body muscle groups. It felt like it was working after doing just one set, but we did what felt like a million. By the time we were done my lower back was on fire and my arms were shaking. My elbows are still hurting, because being the idiot that I am, I grabbed my 8 lb weights for the tri-cept work out--one for each hand.

Half way through I was dying...I knew I had bad form because I was not holding my elbows in because the weight was too much. I stopped looked around and realized everyone else had only grabbed ONE WEIGHT. They did not have a separate one in each hand. Rather, one held by both hands. NO WONDER I WAS SHAKING.

Now, don't get me wrong with my heavy sarcasm, I enjoyed the workout. But sitting down the yesterday and today at work has been a challenge. I now feel sorry for all missionaries who go ride bikes for 8 hours, get sore, and have to get up and do it again the next day.

Lydia and I have a goal to lose weight before Christmas. So if anyone has any good recipes, or cures for cravings, please let me know. I am shooting to lose 25 lbs. It is sad to think I have gained 40 POUNDS since I moved to Utah (6 years ago). I didn't really notice it so much. It seems like one morning I just woke up and thought, "Wow you now have a gut that matches the size of your butt, NO GOOD!". So I will shoot for 25 and see where I get! It's not over until the fat lady sings right???

7 comments:

mikemetcalf said...

Emily, sorry to hear about your saddle sores. Lydia was pretty sore too. I'm glad you guys are both enjoying going to the gym together so much. Lydia really loves having someone to go with.

Good luck with your goal!

Anonymous said...

OUCH....

Thats all I had to say for about three days. I think I am pretty well recovered at this point, and maybe ready to get back in the saddle. Or maybe I will just stick with my first love... TREADMILLS, or is that chocolate. Hard to tell these days.

Mindy said...

You ladies are my heroes! I wish I could come and work out with you. I've heard those cycling classes are killer. I have a sensitive tush, too. I rode my mother-in-law's bike a VERY short distance last time we were in Moab. It's like one of those "old lady" bikes with the huge, padded seat, but still, I was tender in the saddle for days afterward. You have my sympathy!

Good luck on your ambition to lose weight. I know you can do it! Keep us posted :)

Jenny said...

Been there.....OOUUCCHH!
When I did the Body-for-Life program, I burned out on weights like that every other day. I have NEVER been so sore or so in shape in my whole life. I too am on the fitness regime. I can't do bikes because my butt gets so sore I cannot walk the next day. Instead of the bike class, I opted to do Yoga. It sounds not too tough but OH MY GOSH!!! You will find muscles you never thought existed! I like ellipticals and split-treadmills, too. It's is great to have a workout buddy to keep you going...maybe we all can encourage each other! :)
As far as fitness tips or cravings go, I chose BFL because you work your BUTT OFF for 6 days and eat really clean, portioned, healthy food, then on the 7th day, you rest. Both physically and food-wise. If you want a hamburger or a bar of chocolate, you have it. Just don't gorge yourself, or you pay for it. (Been there, too.)
Also, for me having a stock of caffeine free diet soda like Diet Dr. Pepper or Diet Barq's Root Beer satisfies the cravings without causing havoc. Zone bars and Sugar-free (Splenda) hard candy works, too.
Good Luck! Let's be a bunch of losers! (Fat that is!)

Anonymous said...

haha reminds me of soccer training in august. wanting to puke and your whole body shaking!

Emily and Clay said...

yea~ A post from an Oregonian! Finally (I mean I dont want to guilt anyone to post--but if you look at it, why not give some feedback, right?).

Anonymous said...

I know I'm not a lady (although I do have an impressive pair of breasts right now) so I can't go to Lady Fitness, but I've been looking for a support group to lose some weight, so if it's okay with ya'll, I'll jump on your bandwagon for the Christmas goal. 25 sounds like a great number, Em. Let's see if it is possible!

Ben